Start a new topic

Navigation User Interface

Used app to test navigating today using my ancient iPhone 4s. Some issues see separate thread. However I have some feedback on the navigation UI. I think the map is too cluttered with unnecessary icons. All the icons in the map area restrict the view of the map. ( 6 selectable items) Once navigating there should be only one button to press, pause navigating bottom right. As its against the law and highly dangerous to interact with any navigation device when moving this would make sense. Once navigation is paused then all those other menu buttons could become visible for user interaction including an extra one to stop navigating and return to main menu. This would have the benefit to keep the navigation screen clear and simple and stop users interacting with menu items whilst moving. Big safety feature.

The top and bottom of the screen displays information that is nice and big and clear except speed. Speed needs to be much bigger.

I know my iPhone 4s screen is small but I think the above comments on making a UI clutter free whilst navigating is equally valid on a bigger and better screen phone. 

Please don't take this as being too critical I'm trying to give helpful user feedback.

2 people have this question

Hi, yes agree that too much screen is taken up with the information bars. This on my iPhone 5. If as suggested most of this info is somehow hidden until requested, would make screen reading a lot clearer. Cheers, bob.
I agree. Could it be that as soon as the vehicle moves - say above 5mph- all the buttons in screen hide themselves? The tracking start and right hand buttons are useless when the vehicle is moving (it is illegal in uk to touch screen when vehicle moving) and they are too small to touch with bike gloves anyway. Mucj better ro have clean screen only showing navigation map and larger distance to next junction. Thanks

The problem I see David of 'menu button hiding' being speed related is that the phone may be used by a passenger. I think the simpler solution is just to have a discrete menu button which opens a menu page. Then you would have lots of room to display the menu items and add more as the app develops. 

I have now upgraded my ancient iPhone 4s for a lovely iPhone 8 Plus. Interesting comparing the UI between the two. I standby my initial comments on UI navigation being too complicated. On the bigger and better screen on my new 8 Plus the cluttered menu items still interfere with the navigation. I would love to see a clean interface showing just map, speed limit, speed, junction icon, distance to turn given prominent position within the UI. Other elements such as ETA, time to destination and distance to destination can be more discrete.

What do others think ?

1 person likes this
Get you Peter Lewis - 4s to an 8+ in one move!! I fully agree with you - de clutter and bold clear information and instructions. I feel this could be helped with good contrasting colours.

Good Afternoon All! 

I will respond to your reactions one by one. 

Peter Levis, 

Thank you for sharing your findings about the Navigation app! This helps the developers team tremendously, and eventhough I did not respond to the post in a timely manner I did share the information with developers.

The suggestion for a bigger icon for the maximum speed has been added to that list as well. 

The developers are in a continued discussion about what needs to be shown whilst riding. A lot of users are using the app and there are a lot of different opinions on this. We do feel that the screen needs to be as clutterfree as possible. I personally feel that the ETA needs to be on the screen somewhere but I agree with the statement that it is currently taking up a little too much space. The 'start a new tracklog' will most likely be removed whilst riding. 

Once again thank you for sharing your findings this is very helpful! I will never feel that sharing your findings will be too critical, user feedback is one of the most important factors in making the Navigation app as best it can be! 

Robert Baker:

Thank you for sharing your personal findings, like stated above, the developers are working on a solution for this. 

David Robertson:

Great suggestion and has since been added to the list of the developers to have a look at. 

Peter Levis: 

Perhaps it is possible for the developers too add in one button in the navigation screen, clicking this button would show all the original buttons again, thus making it possible for passengers to use. 

Varareco: 

Thank you for adding your suggestion about the contrasting colours. With the next iOS update the linke of the route should have a different colour. Let us know what you think about this and what other parts of the navigation app you would like to see in a different colour. 

Once again, thank you all for adding your suggestions to the list, as said before, user feedback is critical for us to develop! Don't be afraid to be a little critical, if you feel that something should change let us know! Try to give a detailed description of why you want that particular item to change and maybe include a solution. 

I will now close the forumpost to ensure that there will be no reactions by other users with problems or suggestions not related to the original post.

Kind Regards,

Anthony Fens

Customer Support MyRoute-app

1 person likes this