Start a new topic

Planned routes

Hi, just considering to upgrade my free account to a Gold.

I used the MRA to map 3 days of different routes on a trip to Wales recently.

It worked fine.....until we hit a detour.

Is there a way that any planned route that is detoured for road closures, can be set to re-route to the next waypoint to pick up the planned route again?

I have the settings at fastest route, and recalculation set to OFF.

I much prefer MRA to plan routes because Basecamp is so complicated and difficult to use. Having said that though, BC is better if I leave a planned route.

I forgot to say, I'm using a Garmin Zumo 346LM

If I have recalculation set to ON/AUTO, it just skips my planned route and sends me to the end destination via the fastest route

Dear Nigel,

This should not be happening. It is very important that you placed every waypoint on a road, to make sure of this, you have to zoom in to every waypoint. Furthermore, please make sure that you make the route in the Garmin/HERE map.

Kind regards,

Koen Meijering

Customer Support

Thank you for the reply. I always make sure all the waypoints are exactly where I need them to be.

I always make the map in the HERE/Garmon route as I use a Garmin device.

The problem is when I deviate from a planned route say when a road is closed. It gets me to go back to a point I missed which is on that road closure, but I want it to take me to the next waypoint on my planned route. 

If I get it to recalculate, The Garmin software just gets me to go to the end destination directly

Nigel, if I'm interpreting what is happening to you correctly, this is something you need to do on your Garmin device, nothing to do with MyRouteApp. You need to manually tell your Garmin to skip the next waypoint or shaping point (or 2 or 3 waypoints depending on how many you have on your route and how large the road closure is!). Your Garmin will then ignore the waypoint(s)/shaping points on the closed road and re-route you to the next which should eventually get you back onto your planned route.

On my Garmin device while navigating you click the spanner button in the bottom right corner, then the change route button on the pop up menu,  and then click on the "Skip next Destination" or "Skip next shaping point" depending on how you have set up your route.

Hope that helps.

Hi Will, thank you for the reply.

I wasn't aware of that option by pressing the spanner.

I will give it a go tomorrow hopefully, and report back on here.

Thanks again, appreciate it.

Nigel

Hi again. Tried it out today. Planned a route and purposely went wrong. I clicked on the change route button, and it gave e a choice of skip next destination, detour, detour by distance, detour by road. I clicked skip next destination, and it tried to send me to the end point which was only a street away from my start destination.

I then cancelled that trip and started again, but took a different "wrong way" this time.

I then pressed the detour button. Again it tried to send me straight to the end destination.

Cancelled it again and started again from the start position. This time I let it get quite a way into the trip before I tried the detour by road. It recalculated and sent me straight home.

I didn't bother trying anything else as it clearly wasn't going to work.

The recalculation setting on the Garmin was set to OFF.

I am going to try and plan a route with Basecamp and try the detour buttons again to see if there is any difference. I have also emailed Garmin to see what they say. It even says on their website that the detour function, should get you back onto your planned route asap.

I will see what they say

I forgot to say, that when sticking to the planned route made with MRA, and not deviating or detouring, it performs faultlessly.

Okay, what has occurred to me is that you may be navigating from a track which means that once you import it into your Garmin, the device will only see a start point and an end point and your routepoints in MRA shape the track rather than appear as waypoints in the Garmin, hence why when you click on “skip next” on the Garmin it takes you directly to the end point.

The way I do my routes, which works for me and the way I want to use things, is to create my route in MRA using the HERE map. I make sure I have plenty of routepoints added, using common sense to make sure that the route follows the roads I want. The MRA webinar on routepoints is really helpful to explain this https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/webinar/view?video=44&auth=POjASnTH

Once happy with my route I export it into the Garmin but using GPX v1.0 – This I believe treats every routepoint in MRA as an announced waypoint in the Garmin.

Then in the Garmin I use the Trip Planner to import it as a route, not the Track function.

I have offroute calculation in the Garmin set to on and fastest route selected on my route settings.

What I am effectively doing is creating a load of waypoints and asking my Garmin to calculate the route on the fly while riding. If you have enough routepoints at correct strategic places on your route then your Garmin will navigate you along the same route as you see in MRA.

This means that anytime I’m faced with a road closure I click the “skip next” button in the Garmin and it will recalculate my route to get to the next waypoint and from there on I will be back on my chosen route.

The one limitation with this is if you have more than 29 waypoints in your route, the Garmin will split your route into two or multiples of. The way I work round this is using the MRA split route function to break my route down into different legs. Eg Home to first leg stretch stop, then first stop to fuel stop etc etc. I like to stop at least every 2 hours and I find I can easily route a leg with 29 or less waypoints.

Don’t know if this would work for you? The whole thing of routes, tracks, waypoints, shaping points etc I find really confusing and have just found this way that suits me by lots of trial and error!

Okay, what has occurred to me is that you may be navigating from a track which means that once you import it into your Garmin, the device will only see a start point and an end point and your routepoints in MRA shape the track rather than appear as waypoints in the Garmin, hence why when you click on “skip next” on the Garmin it takes you directly to the end point.

The way I do my routes, which works for me and the way I want to use things, is to create my route in MRA using the HERE map. I make sure I have plenty of routepoints added, using common sense to make sure that the route follows the roads I want. The MRA webinar on routepoints is really helpful to explain this

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/webinar/view?video=44&auth=POjASnTH

Once happy with my route I export it into the Garmin but using GPX v1.0 – This I believe treats every routepoint in MRA as an announced waypoint in the Garmin.

Then in the Garmin I use the Trip Planner to import it as a route, not the Track function.

I have offroute calculation in the Garmin set to on and fastest route selected on my route settings.

What I am effectively doing is creating a load of waypoints and asking my Garmin to calculate the route on the fly while riding. If you have enough routepoints at correct strategic places on your route then your Garmin will navigate you along the same route as you see in MRA.

This means that anytime I’m faced with a road closure I click the “skip next” button in the Garmin and it will recalculate my route to get to the next waypoint and from there on I will be back on my chosen route.

The one limitation with this is if you have more than 29 waypoints in your route, the Garmin will split your route into two or multiples of. The way I work round this is using the MRA split route function to break my route down into different legs. Eg Home to first leg stretch stop, then first stop to fuel stop etc etc. I like to stop at least every 2 hours and I find I can easily route a leg with 29 or less waypoints.

Don’t know if this would work for you? The whole thing of routes, tracks, waypoints, shaping points etc I find really confusing and have just found this way that suits me by lots of trial and error!

Login to post a comment