Start a new topic
Deferred

Transfer route; Tablet to GPS

The big attraction of MyRoute was the hope that I would be able to plan a route on a tablet and transfer that route to my TomTom Rider. Well I have succeeded! It required two leads (one is a converter) and is a bit fiddly. The TomTom and possibly some Garmins have the ability to swap routes by Bluetooth any chance of being able to use this?

6 people like this idea

Dear Gwallter,

Thank you for messaging us. We have not yet investigated the bluetooth possibilities. We will do some research on this after the public launch.

If you have any other suggestions, please let us know.

I think that being able to transfer the routes from a tablet or iphone or other smart phone to the navi is a very important "must feature" for this app.  The "easiest" way or should I say "elegant way" would appear to be via a Bluetooth upload to the GPS.  However, one should not really expect the rider to use an external navigation app when they already have a TomTom or Garmin or other navigation device.

Dear Gwallter,

Although I thin that Bluetooth transfer is the best solution, I think it would be helpful for others (like me)  to know how your were able to transfer from your tablet to the TomTom Rider.  Could you could add more details. 

Thanks

Tim

On how I transferred the route...

I used the web app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab pro 10.1 with an "on the go" (OTG) adaptor; this changes the tablets micro USB to a standard USB A socket.

Plug the normal TomTom USB lead into that and the TomTom Rider appears to the tablet a standard USB memory device. 

1: in the web app select 'Save As' and '.itn'.

2: Using the tablets file manager copy the file from the downloads folder to the 'itn' folder on the TomTom

3. unplug the TomTom, let it restart in normal navigation mode and you should find the new itinerary.

Search for 'otg adapter' 

Kim.

1 person likes this

For devices that will not connect to a USB memory device via an OTG cable (possibly including Apple tablets - outside my knowledge) I have just tested the Verbatim MediaShare successfully. This is a portable WiFi hub with a USB and an SD card port. an app on the tablet (Android & iOS) allows files to be accessed via the MediaShare. I use this to transfer video files from SD card to a portable hard disk when away from base.

Kim.

Following the suggestion of Gwallter Rixon i was able to test this attractive feature ( transfer of route from tablet to TT ). In my opinion instead than the Bluetooth connection the cable connection via OTG could be fast  and easy : what I really do not like is the task to move the file from the Download directory to the ITN directory manually : if you are able to implement a software on Android similar to the "Connector" you develop for windows and IOS , I can transfer the file directly into the ITN  directory pressing " Export".....

2 people like this

I would like to know  if someone test on the IPAD the file transfer to the TT via Verbatim Media Share or other  solution  , and what Michael software group are planning to do on this matter . Most people ask me about this feature ....

Stefano

I would like to take a route that I created using my MAC computer using the My Route-app and transfer it to my Tom Tom Rider.

Any help greatly appreciated.

1. Save the route on your mac as a gpx file.
  2. Connect the TomTom Rider 40/400 with your MAC
  3. Copy the gpx file to your Rider.

Gerry,

Just connect the rider to the mac, select the route and export.  Another window will open to allow you to download the connector.  Choose the OS X version and install.  After installation you can skip the download part and go to the button on the bottom right that says "load route"... and another window will pop open... where you can select your gps and the export.  

Earlier I was having some problems with this feature on an older version of OS X ... but have since upgrading to "Yosemite" and it works fine.

Thanks Tim, but it did not (yet) works with the TomTom Rider 40/400. That is based on a totally new platform.

Hi Michel... sorry, I didn't see that Gerry was using a TomTom Rider 40/400.

I don't know it for sure, but I think so :)

Please remember I am a Rider not a computer expert.

Thanks for the advise so far as I seem to be making progress but still have not completed the journey.

I am using a TomTom Rider Model 4Gd00.001.00

following the instructions I did the following steps:

Created a route

Opened the "Profile" and find the route listed

Saved the route as a GPX file

Selected "Export" and then installed the OS X connector

Selected "Open Route", and got a pop up stating that no application set was found to open the URL My Route ap.

I am using the latest version of the MAC software

Thanks Again

Login to post a comment