Start a new topic
Deferred

Transfer route; Tablet to GPS

The big attraction of MyRoute was the hope that I would be able to plan a route on a tablet and transfer that route to my TomTom Rider. Well I have succeeded! It required two leads (one is a converter) and is a bit fiddly. The TomTom and possibly some Garmins have the ability to swap routes by Bluetooth any chance of being able to use this?

7 people like this idea

On how I transferred the route...

I used the web app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab pro 10.1 with an "on the go" (OTG) adaptor; this changes the tablets micro USB to a standard USB A socket.

Plug the normal TomTom USB lead into that and the TomTom Rider appears to the tablet a standard USB memory device. 

1: in the web app select 'Save As' and '.itn'.

2: Using the tablets file manager copy the file from the downloads folder to the 'itn' folder on the TomTom

3. unplug the TomTom, let it restart in normal navigation mode and you should find the new itinerary.

Search for 'otg adapter' 

Kim.

2 people like this

Following the suggestion of Gwallter Rixon i was able to test this attractive feature ( transfer of route from tablet to TT ). In my opinion instead than the Bluetooth connection the cable connection via OTG could be fast  and easy : what I really do not like is the task to move the file from the Download directory to the ITN directory manually : if you are able to implement a software on Android similar to the "Connector" you develop for windows and IOS , I can transfer the file directly into the ITN  directory pressing " Export".....

2 people like this

The is a possible solution; The 'Verbatim Media Share' this is a portable WiFi hub with a USB and  SD slot.

This has Android and iOS apps and allows transfers between the connected phone/tablet and the media plugged into it. If the Garmin will connect to it as a USB memory stick all should work.

http://www.verbatim.com/prod/accessories/wireless-streaming/mediashare-wireless/

I use it to backup SD cards to a portable HD when on longer trips.

1 person likes this

For this moment I can not help you with this issue.

Hope Garmijn support soon export with bluetooth.

1 person likes this

For export you need USB, like the Windows Surface tablet.

There is a workaround.

Buy a USB converter and install the 'on the go app'.

Is this a old model or the new model:

Old model:

Just connect the rider to the mac, select the route and export.  

Another window will open to allow you to download the connector.  

Choose the OS X version and install.  

After installation you can skip the download part and go to the button on the bottom right that says "load route"

Another window will pop open

Where you can select your gps and the export.  

New model (2015):

Save the gpx file on your PC and copy/paste the file to your TomTom

This is an automated message. Some of the messages in this conversation have been reported. The topic will be closed to avoid people posting reactions that are not relevant to the original conversation.
In case you find it necessary to talk about this subject, please create a new topic. Please add a clear description to your message to allow our team to work with it as soon as possible.
Me too Michel!
Thank for your usual "speed", appreciate it.

best,
AA

Thanks for the tip Gwalter.

And no thanks Andrea!

I would like to know  if someone test on the IPAD the file transfer to the TT via Verbatim Media Share or other  solution  , and what Michael software group are planning to do on this matter . Most people ask me about this feature ....

Stefano

Thx Michel, but the problem is that Apple iPad dooes not support any USB device that allow moving data from iPad to other appliance (like garmin for example). I hav also tried to save the file in .gpx format for transfer it via Bluetooth to my Garmin/Navigator but it was not possibile.
So it seems that having an iPad is the problem... :-(

I would like to take a route that I created using my MAC computer using the My Route-app and transfer it to my Tom Tom Rider.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dear Gwallter,

Thank you for messaging us. We have not yet investigated the bluetooth possibilities. We will do some research on this after the public launch.

If you have any other suggestions, please let us know.

I think that being able to transfer the routes from a tablet or iphone or other smart phone to the navi is a very important "must feature" for this app.  The "easiest" way or should I say "elegant way" would appear to be via a Bluetooth upload to the GPS.  However, one should not really expect the rider to use an external navigation app when they already have a TomTom or Garmin or other navigation device.

I have successfully tested a way to transfer routes from MyRouteApp to a Garmin GPS with an iPhone or iPad, a microSD card and a very small microSD reader (no laptop with USB needed).

I have written below how to do that. It looks longish but in fact it's relatively easy and fast.

Here is what you need to do first (and only once):

• if you don't already have a Dropbox account, create one, it's free https://www.dropbox.com
  • buy a Lexar microSD lightning card reader (€25 - €45) (http://www.lexar.com/products/card-readers/Lexar-microSD-Reader.html)
  • if you don't already have one, buy a microSD card for your Garmin GPS
  • install the free application Lexar Mobile Manager (made by PhotoFast Global) on the iPhone/iPad from the App Store
  • start Mobile Manager, select Dropbox, give your Dropbox email and password to connect and associate with your Dropbox account. When associated, you are able to see and manage all your Dropbox files from Mobile Manager
  • insert the microSD card in the Lexar reader and connect the reader to the iPhone/iPad, a popup will ask the authorization to communicate with the application Mobile Manager
  • from the application Mobile Manager, select the External Storage and create the following folder in the top of the microSD card: Garmin
  • Inside the Garmin folder create 3 folders: gpx, jpeg, poi
  • signup to create a free account at Email It In https://www.emailitin.com/ This account will give the possibility to send GPX files by mail directly from MyRouteApp to the folder "\Applications\Email It In" in your Dropbox account. You will get an email address like name99blabla@emailitin.com in order to use this service.

Then each time you need to transfer a route from MyRouteApp to Garmin GPS with an iPhone or iPad and the microSD card and reader:

• connect to MyRouteApp on the iPhone/iPad, either from the web interface or from the MyRouteApp application
  • create or choose an existing route in MyRouteApp
  • email the route in GPX format to your Dropbox account using your Email It In email address
  • insert the microSD card in the Lexar reader and connect the reader to the iPhone/iPad
  • authorize Mobile Manager to access the microSD reader (a popup will automatically ask for authorization)
  • select Dropbox in Mobile Manager, select folder Applications, select folder "Email It In"
  • click Select on top right of the screen and select the GPX file you want to copy (or move) to the microSD card
  • select Copy (or Move)  at the bottom of the screen
  • select External Storage, then folder Garmin, then folder gpx, click on Copy here (or Move here)
  • disconnect the microSD reader from the iPhone/iPad and extract the microSD card
  • insert the microSD card in the Garmin GPS
  • start the Garmin GPS
  • select Apps on the main screen, then Trip Planner, click on the menu (3 bars top left), select Import, select the route you have just copied on the microSD card and click Import (name of the route starts always with Route- )
  • have a nice and safe ride with the route you have imported on your GPS !