Start a new topic

GPX file - My garmin does not recognize my .gpx file

I created a route on MyRoute app. Saved it as a .gpx file. When I tried to import into garmin it states it is not a valid GPX file. What am I doing wrong?

1 person has this problem

Still seems to be an unresolved issue.... If I use the MyRoute-app export tool, the route does load to my Garmin (BMW NavIV/Zumo).  However, if I use "save as" and move the GPX file via Windows Explorer, Garmin does not recognize it.   The limitation of the MRA export function is that you can only export a route, vs. track, waypoints, etc.   Appreciate any new thinking on this topic...

Hi Dave Eaton,

"Several explanations from support that didn't work" :'( 
I take a lot of care of the tickets i get from users and would never just send someone way if there is no apparent solution. I can not recall  a ticket on the matter. If you did opened then i have no idea what happened, and i would firstly apologies and then recommend you to contact again. The process i have in mind right now involves trouble shooting a long list of possible causes, which i can't spam the forum with. Please open up a ticket through our support page and i'm confident we'll find a solution.

Kind regards,

Christian Orie

Customer Support

I have a Zumo 590 LM. Tyre to Travel and My Route will not work with it. I have had several explanations from support none of which solved the problem. Even purchasing My Route Gold lifetime has been a waste of money. Please advise where I can contact a rocket scientist to solve the problem for me because support can't. :-(

Hi Douglas,

Fortunately the only thing you have to learn from Basecamp is what that video i send you was all about. Just the exporting to your device part is needed, for everything else you can still rely on MyRoute-app. As to guaranteeing if buying Gold will fix all of the issues for you, i'll say that i'm confident that it will. I however am not going to deny that just like with any other digital product, there is some getting used to MRA needed. Our other users never see it as a problem.

i had a look at the video, but to be honest it was all double dutch to me,Base camp looks fantastic and it has some really useful parts in it,but i think i must be too old, i just can't understand it.i don't have the time needed to learn it. Can you guarantee if i was to upgrade to gold that i would be able to export routes to my memory card in my sat nav.
why is it that i did manage to make a couple of routes and export them into my satnav?

Hi Douglas Doig,

The cause of this problem is most likely related to Zumo not accepting the way the .gpx file is coded. Generally Zumo's need to have a 'tailored' gpx file in order for it to be read. Our gold members have access to our MyRoute-app connector which does this automatically for you. However Garmin has a program called Basecamp that can do it for you as well. I got the following video for you to explain exactly how to use Basecamp for exporting to your device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlw93RWAo_M

I'm confident that after following the steps in the video you'll be easily able to export your routes to your Garmin. Tell me how it went, otherwise we'll look for alternative solutions together.

Kind regards,

Christian Orie

Customer Support

i too would be very interested in upgrading but i seem to be having problems with putting routes into my zumo 390LM when i save route as a gpx file and put it into my sat nav it looks as if it has gone in, but when i look for it in my sat nav it is not there..Can you give me an idiots step by step guide in case i am missing something.
.I did manage to put 2 routes in about a month or so back (maybe I'm doing something wrong now!) also it wouldn't go in the memory card only in the sat nav memory and as I'm hoping to create a lot of routes i wouldn't have room if i can't use the memory card (i purchased another memory card in case 1st one was faulty but i have the same problem)

Hi David Barker, 

Of course i might be a little biased here, but i would definitely recommend you to give Gold a try. The forum posts you're seeing here are primarily from earlier stages during MyRoute-app. We've gone a long way in improving the issues that Garmin used to have with MRA. Personally one of my tasks on MRA is answering user questions through either tickets/forums. The only issues I've received over the past couple of weeks regarding Garmin were primarily fixed by a simple update of the connector. The few others can generally be solved by our updated manual page. And i guarantee you that if there is any difficulty it's my job to help our users overcome it. 

I'll let the discussing continue with other users to not further influence your decision, but hopefully i was able to take some of your concerns away regarding Garmin!

Kind regards,

Christian Orie

Customer Support

Im thinking of subscribing  to this but i use a Gamin 660 i see by the forum that the upload of the files seems to be very long winded and really difficult can you advise me if this worth me joining or not.

I find Garmin Basecamp almost impossible to navigate and plan routes this looks much easier  so would be worth the lifetime payment Any help would be a help thanks in advanced 

Hi ND1,

I suggest opening a ticket for this issue.

Kind regards,

Christian Orie

Customer Support

I am encountering the same problem.  I had created another file to .gpx only 3 or 4 days ago and it worked fine.  I have tried to load a newly created .gpx file today but am getting the same not valid message.  Please can someone advise?

I've converted this threat to a ticket for solution purposes. 

Kind regards,

Christian Orie

Customer support

Login to post a comment